Scientist II, RNA Biochemistry
San Diego, CA
I am currently partnered with an innovative biopharma transforming the pharmaceutical industry through their R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. They empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, this company offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything they do. They foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which the global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
As a Scientist in drug discovery, you will be empowered to serve on project teams.
My client is looking for an enthusiastic and innovative RNA biochemist to support the development of small molecules modulators of RNA function. The research scientist-II has a strong record in the in vitro characterization of RNAs, and their interactions with small molecules and proteins. The candidate will design and implement strategies to investigate RNA modifying enzymes such as ribonucleases, as well as methods to evaluate mRNA splicing and translation.
The candidate is experienced in the design and optimization of RNA constructs for in vitro studies and works effectively with computational biologics, chemists, biophysicists and biologist to accelerate drug discovery projects. This person is well versed in the management of externalized work and has excellent laboratory and data interpretation skills. As a member of the Drug Discovery Sciences team, this person will play a critical role in developing therapies against currently undruggable diseases in the areas of Neurosciences, oncology, and rare diseases.
- Expert in the development and implementation of multiple in vitro assays; TR-FRET, minigene reporter assays, enzymatic, etc.
- Experienced in the design of RNA constructs for biophysical and biochemical characterization
- Deep understanding of RNA biology
- Excellent knowledge in enzyme kinetics, IC50s, KD values and mechanism of action experiments
- Strong data analysis and interpretation skills
- Communicates and collaborate effectively with project team members
- Contributes to functional problem resolution and objective setting
- Interprets results of complex experiments, and integrates data produced by other disciplines
- Contributes to functional scientific discussion
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Deep understanding of RNA function and methods to characterize RNAs using biochemical and cell assays
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process
- Acts as the recognized scientific resource on an aspect of a program
- Demonstrates effective project engagement skills
- Identifies, plans and executes novel scientific projects and may manage the work of others a direct or matrixed structure
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientifically independent
- May influence decision making within the department
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 2+ years experience , or
- MS with 8+ years experience, or
- BS with 10+ years experience